Sunday, November 28

Mediapart: Banning Palestinian NGOs… Israel’s arguments are flimsy and did not convince the West

Reading the classified dossier – which was distributed to European diplomats stationed in Israel and which appears to be a mixture of baseless claims, misleading conclusions and rough estimates – explains why Israel has failed to ban Palestinian organizations.

The French website Mediapart said that the Israeli government, after banning 6 Palestinian non-governmental organizations, sent to European capitals a report from its internal security services to prove the relationship of these organizations to terrorism. Europeans confirm their support for Palestinian human rights defenders.

and in Article For the site, Renee Bachmann said that the surprise and resentment by diplomats, and the condemnation among human rights defenders, was great and strong over the announcement by Israeli Defense Minister Benny Gantz on October 22 that 6 Palestinian civil society organizations are considered by Israel as “terrorist groups.”

On the basis of this declaration, Major General Yehuda Fox – the head of the Israeli Central Command that controls the West Bank – signed an order on November 7th preventing these “illegal” organizations from operating in “Judea and Samaria” (the biblical name for the West Bank he uses). The Israeli regime) and allows the army to do whatever it wants with these organizations, that is, to arrest their members or collaborators, search their workplaces, and seize their archives, files, and computers.

Tweet out of flock

So far, the police or the Israeli army have raided the premises of 3 of the six NGOs, which are – according to the author – well-known and respected NGOs in the Middle East and abroad, working in the field of information and documentation about the occupation, settlements, violations of human rights and international law carried out by Israel. For years, she has received financial aid from the European Union, most of which are fighting to bring Israel before the International Court of Justice.

Israel accuses all of these NGOs of belonging to a network controlled by the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, that Marxist and Arab nationalist movement founded by the late George Habash in 1967, and which the European Union and the United States designated nearly 20 years ago as a terrorist group, and Tel Aviv accuses it of financing the activities of Its “terrorist” military wing (according to the writer’s description) is paid with European money, which is a very embarrassing accusation for these, as the writer sees.

Even before General Fox confirmed the ministerial decision, Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch – known for their toughness – immediately expressed their solidarity with their “Palestinian partners,” as Israeli Labor Party chairwoman Merav Michaeli – who is a minister – tweeted outside The Israeli government leaked, saying that “the damage this decision could cause among our great friends would be at the expense of Israeli interests.”

It seems that Merav Michaeli was not mistaken, according to the writer; Not only did Israel’s European partners reject Benny Gantz’s initiative, which openly aims to deprive important and law-abiding NGOs of their funding sources, but many of them challenged and criticized the campaign of poisoning and disinformation that preceded and accompanied the Defense Minister’s announcement in substance and form, and demanded more of information.

The campaign against NGOs is a clear Israeli diplomatic and political strategy, through which this country – which possesses the military means to ensure its security and survival – aims to avoid or delay a moral and political defeat by the appearance of some of its officials before the International Court of Justice.

Avoid moral defeat

It seems that this campaign against non-governmental organizations – as the writer sees – is part of a diplomatic and political strategy that has now become clear, through which Israel, which possesses the military means to ensure its security and survival, aims to avoid or delay a moral and political defeat by the appearance of some of its officials before the International Court of Justice. Cutting funding to those collecting evidence of violations of international law by the State of Israel and its leaders, police and soldiers in that strategy is a priority.

And the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs launched an attack early last spring – according to Israeli electronic media backed by The Intercept – an attack to destabilize the six Palestinian NGOs, by distributing a “secret file” to European diplomats stationed in Israel. It was prepared by the Israeli Security Agency, formerly known as “Shin Bet”, which operates inside Israel and the occupied Palestinian territories.

That secret file – comprising 74 pages – was supposed to convince European countries that these NGOs receiving their contributions were in fact just complicit brokers charged with raising funds to fund the “terrorist” operations of the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, according to the writer’s description. That secret file, they believe, will encourage European governments to cut off all financial aid to these organizations.

Mediapart website – which obtained a copy of this document stamped with the logo of the Israeli Security Agency and bearing the mark “secret” – says that reading this frightening document, which appears to be a mixture of unfounded allegations, misleading conclusions and approximate estimates, explains why the Israeli operation ended in failure. It also clarifies the meaning of the 5 European countries saying to the Israeli government that the file does not contain “any concrete evidence”, and that it therefore decided to continue funding and supporting the aforementioned organizations.

Washington, the historical protector of Israel, did not show it spontaneous support. Rather, it requested “additional information” before determining its position. As for Europe, most of Israel’s partners did not accept its thesis, and a diplomat from the European Union said that “the Israeli document was not convincing at all. Therefore, we asked for information We’re still waiting for an extra.”

The document does not provide – according to the site – any new or unknown information about the six NGOs, even the testimonies that came in the investigation of the two former Palestinian accountants in the Health Work Committees (a non-governmental organization specializing in medical assistance that was banned in 2000) – namely Saeed Abdat. and Amr Hammouda, who were expelled in 2019 for embezzlement – they were more than modest, because the receipts for which we were charged were used “to settle gambling debts and not to finance the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine,” says the French website.

The result of this failed maneuver was disastrous for the Israeli government, so that Washington, the historical protector of Israel, did not show it spontaneous support, but rather requested “additional information” before determining its position. As for Europe, most of Israel’s partners did not accept its thesis, and a diplomat from the European Union said that “The Israeli document was not convincing at all. So we asked for additional information, which we are still waiting for.”

More news



Reference-www.aljazeera.net

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *