The Japanese government said that North Korea apparently launched a ballistic missile, while the South Korean military said that North Korea had launched an unidentified missile towards the sea, in the first missile test conducted by Pyongyang in the new year.
And the Japanese official news agency “Kyodo” reported – early Wednesday morning – that North Korea had tested a new type of submarine-launched ballistic missile, which increased fears of the technological progress of this nuclear-armed country in the field of weapons that are difficult to intercept.
For its part, the Joint Chiefs of Staff in Seoul said – in a statement – that the projectile was fired from the eastern coast of the peninsula towards the sea, without giving further details at once.
The South Korean Yonhap news agency quoted the South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff as saying that the North fired the missile towards the east from a ground platform.
“To find out additional information, the intelligence authorities of South Korea and the United States are conducting a detailed analysis,” the agency said – in a text message sent to journalists.
The agency added that the South Korean army, in cooperation with the United States, is closely monitoring the North’s related moves and keeps a state of readiness against the possibility of North Korea launching more missiles.
(2nd LD) N. Korea fires an apparent ballistic missile toward East Sea: JCS https://t.co/OuSUU93Jlh
— Yonhap News Agency (@YonhapNews) January 5, 2022
In 2021, North Korea announced that it had conducted a series of successful missile tests, including launching a “new type” of ballistic missile from a submarine, a long-range cruise missile, and a hypersonic missile from a train.
This new missile test comes at a time when North Korea did not respond to the invitation made by the United States to hold talks between the two countries.
During an important meeting of North Korea’s ruling party last week, leader Kim Jong Un pledged to continue building the military capabilities of his country, which is under severe international sanctions.
The administration of US President Joe Biden has repeatedly announced its willingness to meet with North Korean officials anywhere, anytime and without preconditions, as part of efforts to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula, but Pyongyang has refused.
Pyongyang is subject to international sanctions over its nuclear and ballistic programs, which made great progress under Kim Jong Un.
And North Korea is prohibited by UN Security Council resolutions from developing its nuclear or ballistic arsenal, but it does not care about this ban, which has brought it back with multiple international sanctions.
And in 2017, the United Nations Security Council, at the initiative of the administration of US President Donald Trump, issued 3 resolutions imposing severe economic sanctions on Pyongyang after it conducted a nuclear and missile tests.